Current Time In Sierra Leone

Monday, March 26, 2012

Hey family,
How are things over in the good ole USA? Things here are trudging along. I heard a good poem and thought I would share it with you all it is about prayer!!
PUSH
Pray
Until
Something
Happens
Living the Way we Pray
I knelt to pray when day was done
And prayed. O Lord, bless everyone
Lift from each heart the pain,
And let the sick be well again.
And then I woke one day,
And carelessly went on my way,
The whole day long I did not try
To wipe a tear from any eye.
I did not try to share the load
Of any brother on the road;
I did not even go to see
The sick man just next door to me
Yet once again when day was done
I prayed: O Lord, bless everyone
But as I prayed to my ear
There came a voice that whispered clear:
Pause, hypocrite, before you pray:
Whom have you tried to bless today?
God’s sweetest blessing always go
By hands that serve him here below.
And then I hid my face and cried:
Forgive me God for I have lied,
Let me but live another day.
And I will live the way I pray
I really like this poem, it is reality and it is something that most of us do in this life.
Nothing really too exciting this week. As you know, we have been suffering for new investigators so prayer is key. One of the days we were frying our brains trying to get new investigators so I just was praying please, just let someone talk to us. Low and behold, it worked. My first impression was great. I prayed and God sent me a drunk guy. At first I was a little ticked but then I started talking to this guy. Come to find out, he had attended church in Freetown and just never became a member because there were no missionaries to teach him. We also found out that this guy loves the bible and he even started his own church. He knew that his church of small 50 or so members was not a really true church. He knew in his heart that the LDS church was the only true church on the earth. He made it clear to us that he wants to join the church and leave his habits and even to try to get his old members to followhim to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I was blown away. If we would have turned away from this guy because he smelled drunk we would have never had such an opportunity. We haven’t had a chance to meet him again but we will see what will come of it.
I heard a funny joke this week. This guy was talking to us about America, like people always do with me, and he is telling me that he has to get to America before he dies. Even if he dies immediately after he gets off of the plane. I looked at him and said why would you just want to die there? He says “America is only about 2 miles away from heaven while Africa is only about two miles away from hell. The road to heaven is much shorter from America”. I was laughing. It is amazing how bad people want to get there.
This week I met a guy from San Jose. He lived there for over 30 years and came here for a visit. Anyway, he was talking to me and he was happy I was a Lakers fan in Utah. We invited him to church and one of his children came and liked it so that’s cool. I am trying to think of excitement. But it just is not coming….
This makes about a month of no power and we're still getting water by hand. Oh well, 9 weeks to go, right? Yup, president called me this week and said he is making the arrangements for 30 days early!! So that’s good. Also, tell brother Cox thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I got his package. It was really nice of them to send that for me.
Things are great. Mission is good. Oh and my companion's first name is David. (I found out because he wrote it on a record haha). He really doesn’t like me but it's ok because I love him. If only I was not an American, things would probably be better between us. Lots of Africans here as missionaries just don’t like us Americans. They feel intimidated for one reason or another. I don’t know.
Well, I love you guys- have a great week!! Oh ya, a good scriptureespecially for me, Mormon 6:20 - sorrows don’t bring return….
Love ya - have a good week. And let everyone know I love them.
Love Elder Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment