Current Time In Sierra Leone

Monday, April 2, 2012

Happy Easter

Hey family,
How are things going over there? Things here are going great. The week had its struggles but you know I was reading some of my newsletter pages and I am noticing that I don't sound too grateful. I don’t really talk too much about all the positive things that happen so I even though my mission is rounding down there is still time to change. The good things have been happening all along and those are the things that are changing my life. The cost of obedience is nothing compared with the cost of disobedience. That’s something that I love. The Lord has provided us a road map. The road map consist of trials, commandments, easy roads and rough roads and many other things along the way, but the special thing about this road is that it leads back to Him. Life is great when on the road to Christ.
So brother Neves was accurate about the mission but hey, no worries, I have less than two months left. This week was funny - so we have been teaching this guy, ironically his name is Joseph Smith. He is the only guy in a house of like a million woman. But he is awesome and is progressing really well. Anyway, the grandma and the sisters were cooking so we took the opportunity to offer our services. Unfortunately, in the process of cooking, my pants got covered in fufu something equivalent to flour. So the grandma comes out with a rag and starts talking she says grap, TINAP!! I say ok she then starts to speak to me in mende telling me to turn around. So I did and then she started to clean my pants with a rag. Tells me to turn and continues cleaning. I don’t know if you have ever had your pants cleaned while they are on you by a old lady but I tell you, it is awkward! Well that is not the most awkward part - it was the return appointment. We were at another appointment and we often sit down on big stones on the ground or tree stumps or anything we can find, so your butt gets dirty. Well this lady always comes out of no where and SPANKS ME haha . It is crazy! I have to be careful when I am around there. I always have to make sure my pants are clean so she doesn’t try to help me by spanking me.
So we have come up with a method here for the people who cannot read the Book of Mormon but still feel the spirit and gain a testimony of it. What we have come up with is to have people underline words, such as family or God or Christ or Heavenly Father, etc. We write them in the front of the book and explain the words and then we have them search for the words in the book. It gives them two major things - one a good assignment and two, they can see how much the book talks about Christ and God and families.So we saw some real success with it this week. We gave the assignment to this lady a few weeks ago and she never really tried. Anyway, she got sick and was laying in bed and picked it up. Well that’s when the spirit took control. The next time we saw her she said "elders, I love the Book of Mormon. It is so true." I get a big smile on my face and I asked her to let me borrow her book. So I picked it up she had underlined the words Lord and God and Christ almost for the entire book. I was so impressed. It really touched my heart.
Easter, what a great time of year. It really is the best holiday. We, as children of God, need to focus more on Christ. Year round instead of just on holidays or Sundays. I have really come to love Christ. I have been studying on symbols in the Book of Mormon and in the Bible and let me tell you something, WOW!!! The scriptures really come alive when you understand symbols in these books. I can't even begin to tell you. For example, the robe of Christ or robes in general, are normally symbols of authority or power. Along with colors… so when things are said like the woman reached out to touch the hem of his robe or his clothes, it is a symbol priesthood blessings. As well as the red robe symbolizes the atonement and sacrifice etc. Christ saving us from sin through authority. Also like bread is a symbol of life. Christ is the bread of life. The list goes on and on but I don’t want to bore you with these. I really look forward to studying the scriptures with all you guys when I get home. Anyway, my studies have been so great and I am learning so much. I can really see the scriptures coming alive. This church is true and the more you study the more you understand. I am so grateful for life and the time to be here. Thanks for the support have a great week. Also thank you for the birthday wishes and Happy Birthday to Sharon. And transfers are this week so I will let you know what happens. Happy Easter!
Love you guys!!! Remember Christ did it for YOU!!!!! And it wasn’t easy even for him.
Love you -Love Elder Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment