Current Time In Sierra Leone

Monday, March 12, 2012

Another Week in Paradise!

Hey family!

How was the week? How is life? Things here are rough, but whatever, thus is life. If I was to tell you all that is going on you here would really either laugh or cry, I don’t know. Our area, as you know, needs a lot of work but that is not the biggest problem. Our zone is slowly falling into apostasy so as the new zone leaders, we are trying to stop that as fast as we can. It was kind of like the missionaries that we replaced didn’t care too much about what was going on. So lucky for us, we get to fix it. The biggest problem is my companion doesn’t really seem to care. It is hard because I am trying to love him and get to know him but he won't open up to me. I mean it is so crazy. I don’t even know his first name or his age or anything about him. But I have been trying to look for the good. This week I have been looking for things that I am grateful for and it always comes down to family. I am so grateful to have been raised in a home that has moral values with parents who love and care for me. Can't begin to tell you how much a child here would love to have their parent say I love you or I am proud of you. I don’t think that I have ever heard a parent here tell their child that they love them. It isn’t fair to the children here. I just wish that things could be different. I guess that is why we are here.
This week has been really busy. We are starting the planning of the Easter program. We are combining both of our zones so we have to work with the other zone leaders which is fun and nice because it is Elder Stott and Bennion. They are good guys so it is fun. It should be a good program. And another benefit about planning it is that I don’t have to sing a surprise solo or anything!
We had an awesome baptism this weekend. I really liked it… probably because it was huge! I love big baptisms. I think it really brings the spirit. It had to be like 30 people. Wow, it was fun. I wish I had taken pictures but, unfortunately, there is no way to charge my camera on account that our generator is broken and also no power from the power company. Anyway, it was great. We had a fun time rushing around fixing problems like filling the leaky font, meeting with the district president and other things, like trying to get the branch to stop hating our sisters. Man, sometimes I wonder about those sisters. The comments they make to people. I would be ticked too if I was in the branch. They make comments like "this food is for goats or this is for monkeys. I couldn’t believe my ears when I heard such statements. I mean, in there defense, the food really is for goats but you don’t have to tell the people that. They are sharing all that they have when they give you food. That really hurt us because it loses the trust between missionaries and members. Which really sucks because, as it is, we are having enough problems trying to find people to teach.
 
 
One of our big focuses in our zone is to recognize the reality of the living Christ. It is something that I think can really help missionaries and other people outside of mission. As we realize that we have a living Savior, we can recognize the daily blessings that come into our lives. And when we see these blessings, we are happy. We know that someone is there to help us. Mission is great! Easy, most defiantly not! Every companionship is filled with love and sometimes hate trials, success and sometimes failure, good ideas and bad ideas. It is all about the attitude that we have during the experience. When life throws you lemons you can either suck the bitterness of the lemon or you can just make it sweet by adding sugar. Nothing comes easy in life. It always takes extra, it always takes a little more. Something that I have found is that the only time success comes before work is in the dictionary. The journey of a thousand miles always begins with the very first step. As most people know, in my mission, I have had to carry a fair share of trials but I don’t expect it to stop. When life gets to easy it means we are not learning from any trials and if we are not learning then what is our purpose in life? Everything is about our attitude. So I guess I need to put this out there. People keep asking me about the Sherissa thing, wanting to know if I am ok. Asking me why I am not complaining. The reason is because there is no reason to cry and there is no reason to look back. I just need to focus on what is ahead of me and not what is behind me. I am truly happy that she is happy. That is what I always wanted. For her to be happy. What kind of loser would I be if I didn’t want that. I know the Lord will work something out for me. My purpose right now is not to look for a wife but to bring families unto the gospel. To recognize that God is there and loves them. So thank you everyone for the concerns and the support. All is well in Africa.
Oh, I got the package today, finally. I haven’t really gone through it yet, I am really busy. I am trying to make sure lots of work gets done from generator repairs to the water pump installation and other things. Don’t worry, I will try to refrain from spending lots of time in the well. I love you guys have a great week!
 
 
Love Elder Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment