Current Time In Sierra Leone

Monday, June 27, 2011

Made it to Freetown!


Hey family,
How are you guys doing this week? So first off, as you know, I am now residing in a new country and experiencing different things. I am learning lots of things and I have only been here for a few short days. Like, I carry a lot of money around here. I have 700,000 dollars in my bag right now. I know I am a rich man. Not! I only have small money. So the trip from Liberia to Sierra Leone man ~ I won't really be too sad if I do not ever do that trip again! Man, Markus is crazy. I don’t think he cares if we all die. We go like 60 mph down a trail through the forest. It is so fun but man you are on the edge of your seat the whole time. It is nuts but every one will go through it. Well most people. So back to when I was in Liberia one of my new favorite scriptures is D&C 123:16-17. It talks about the helm of a ship as sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father we need to stop trying to live up to what we think we can be but we need to live up to what our Heavenly Father created us too be. We are capable of being so much greater than we make ourselves out to be. We can be someone's hero, someone's best friend, someone's light of inspiration, just by the way that we live our lives. Life is great isn’t it?
So this week was eventful. Elder Taylor is having some fits with his comp but I know he will get over it and move on. I will miss the people over in the good old Liberia and it was fun but it is time for me to start a new chapter in my book of missionary service. So I am going to have to say that the worst part of my trip was that all of my books got ruined because we were driving through rivers of water and in the African rain forest. Man I was so mad that all my stuff got ruined but whatever, it is just material things. So the best part of my trip was I ate at a place called Sabs. Oh my freakin' heck!!!! I THOUGHT I DIED and went to Heaven!! It had real cheese and meat and French fries. I almost went into cardiac arrest. I may not like ice cream anymore but man I still love hamburgers. Without a doubt, I think that is one of the first things that I want when I get home. Haha but that is kind of far away. But I am climbing over the hill this week. One Year! I am pretty stoked! So upon my arrival to Sierra Leone, I got the opportunity to teach investigator class and then elders class. Man, it was crazy. I was dirty and I had a beard and I stunk but it's ok that doesn’t affect my spirit any more. So I had a great lesson in elders class. Man I decided to talk about fathers being a patriarch. They don’t know the importance of fathers in this world. They think they have no authority over their children but I let them know that love is the best thing that they can give. I told them (I am not going to lie, I almost got emotional, thanks for that gene dad) I was telling that my parents, my mom and my dad are best friends. There is no one that I love more than my family. I told them that when I get married, there will be no one on this earth that I will love morevthan my wife. She will be my number one and I will love and respect hervand my children will respect her as well because of my example. And I know that this works because that is how my parents are. My dad's best friend is my mom. After the lesson, a guy came to me and said that I'm well ahead of my years. I gave credit to my family.
Things are great. So I have some good pictures on the way for you, I just want you to know. I will send them in just a couple of weeks. Or this week. I hope that all is well there in stg. Don’t enjoy too much without me. So I am looking good 36/34 pants haha saweet! I will have a 6 pack or at least close, when I come home especially since there are plenty hills and no food. I love you guys soo much!
Love Elder Kev

1 comment:

  1. Upbeat letter. He sounds great and I'm sure this transfer will provide more growth for him and the people he serves. :)

    ReplyDelete