Current Time In Sierra Leone

Monday, July 4, 2011

One Year Down!


Hey family,

How are things over there on the other side of the world? Things over here are going great! Lots of new things are happening for me with the new culture and language and things like that. Liberia is a lot more like America than Sierra Leone. When it comes to money and the way that people do things, things here in Sierra Leone are much more English (England).

So we had some fun things happen this week, when Elder Lowe or Spencer told you that our area is mountainous, he was not joking! It is the most mountainous in the entire mission. I really enjoy it because it is a awesome work out every day and when you add in the push ups and curls everyday, boy I am getting in shape. I am pretty stoked.

You asked how many of us are in the apartment. There are 6 of us. Elders Rochester (comp) Vogl, Emmanuelson (from Las Vegas). Buckman and Ado are most cool. Some are crazy! Elder Vogle, Emmanelson and Buckman are sweet.

Today things were pretty fun. We went and played some football (soccer). Man, I wish I was better at this game! But you would really laugh at the field that we played on. It had boulders in the middle of it. It was pretty funny. They will play on any surface where there is not a house or a shack. I think I might have met my match - maybe…. His name is Elder Percel and he is Samoan and he is huge. I think I could take him. I am in better shape haha. He has not been on an African diet for 1 year like I have. He will find out soon.

Oh, so before I forget, and only if you have the chance, I really need a new camelback. The sack is getting gross and the bag is not big enough. I know that they are a lot of money but they are nice because they are waterproof and I drink lots of water. If it is in my camelback it means I filtered it, so its safe. Preferably one that is big enough for my scriptures and my notebook. That's about all I need, maybe more bug spray.

So the pants are great. I am sure that is why we have been getting so many contacts this week. They are so nice. So I have been sporting long hair, like pretty long, about as long as I think is allowed. Just shorter than dads when he gets it cut. Between my "contacting pants" (that is what the elders in my apartment call them) and my beautiful locks of hair, the work should start to increase very soon!

So last week after we were done emailing, we started the assent to the top of Mount Everest, aka our area, and when we reached the top, there was a girl struggling to carry cement. You know me, I have the dad gene and I had to help. I was judging by the hefty bag of cement that the little woman did not have far to go. She was going to the tip top, another thousand feet, the last house on the hill. Amazing view but my comp almost died getting to the top and he was carrying only himself! No, he did good. But it is was funny. We hiked up a little tiny, tiny like river cut trail. But we got there asked her and her family to come to church, She came but come to find out she was not a member but her family was inactive. But because of our act of service, they decided to come back. I believe that is the best way to tell people you love them. Service. For a couple of American Elders to hike up to the top of the hill with fifty pounds of cement in a white shirt an tie shows that we love the people. As for me, I love the people, maybe not so much the culture, but the people. I am working on the same with my comp. He just hates everything, kind of sounds familiar, don't it.

Another cool story, we got asked to pray for a guy and we asked him if he knew what a blessing was. He replied that he did not so we explained that through his faith he can be healed by the Lord but he needs to know it is not us missionaries but it is the Lord using us as instruments. It was obvious that this guy was sick with malaria so we went to his room, his tiny room, just big enough for a bed and my companion anointed, and I got to seal and bless. It is so cool to give blessings. To be the mouthpiece of the Lord. I love it so much. Later that night, we were told that the man we gave the blessing to received a miracle. Our investigator told us that it was a miracle! He said "he was one hundred percent better ten minutes later after you left." Man, blessings work here so much because the faith of people is so high.

Mission work is sweet but hard. I am now on my decent and I feel nice I am not going to lie.  Training is hard. All I can think of is to just be an example in everything I do. Its hard though man. I love you guys so much.

Love, Elder Moss

PS  for dad (and Sis Miller), we have not had water for a week now, nothing new for me. I am pretty used to it. TIA

No comments:

Post a Comment