Current Time In Sierra Leone

Monday, January 30, 2012

Hey family,
How are things this week? Here in Bo, they are the norm - nothing to new to talk about. I am going to do my best to give the details of what might be interesting. So this week started off a little rough. To make a long story short, I think I broke my hand. Luckily, it was on the punching bag and not on a wall or a table or someone. After I relieved my frustration on the bag, my hand hurt but I went back to work and all is well. So in the wonderful words of the prophet, choose to be happy.
On a more positive note, the work is pressing forward here in the small village of Bo. Lots of people are ready for the gospel and lots of people are really, really naïve. I have come to find that here I spend so much time just trying to get people to understand the concept that there is only one true church on this earth and not all churches are going to get you back to heaven. So many people here love the church and they just think that the church is wonderful but they think that the church that they are in is good enough. Which honestly blows my mind because I don’t know how people can believe that God is two faced and he doesn’t care what we do here as long as we call his name and go to church. People are blinded by the ways of the world. Satan has such a tight grasp on the hearts of the people that it is truly sad and yikes, the things that people believe. Every mission has their own challenges and I know that one of the ones here is that the people completely disregard the law of chastity. And it is terrible. I would say that probably the average age to be a mother here is 15 years old, maybe 16. The problem is because of the societies and the traditions of their forefathers. People completely forget about the Lord's commandments and do whatever they think is right. And when they are living in sin, they wonder why they are also living in poverty. When the light of knowledge comes to you and you completely reject it, that is his condemnation. People are digging their own graves. They wonder why they live in trial but they neglect to do the things that the Lord requires of us. So remember, remember always follow the commandments and reap the blessings from heaven.
Well the week continued on and as usual, we have been focusing on teaching families because it is the best thing to do. The problem with that is that families here don't live together. People just sleep wherever there is shelter from the world. Some homes are filled with people from different tribes and countries. So what we do is call the people living in that house a family. Anyway. we have been working with brother Patrick and his family. He is doing great and I love talking with him. He and his son will be baptized on this Saturday. Hopefully, his wife will follow shortly.
We did lots of contacting this week but I am getting tired of these crafty people always leaving me hanging. We found some good people. Unfortunately, our turn out at church was not that great. We only had 4 investigators on Sunday. So we will see what we can do to get that turned around.
So we also had interviews with president. Which went well. I was supposed to get a new temple recommend but he forgot his book so it will have to wait. I don’t ever want to not have it. I always want to be ready to go even if I don’t have a temple. Can you believe it has been two years since I got my recommend ~ man that’s crazy. Anyway, he talked to me about splitting the branch because the building doesn’t have a big enough capacity. Uh, so that makes lots of work for us. He wants us to draw up some new boundaries and look for people that could be leaders and yadda yadda yadda. Overall, the interview was great. He gave me some good info and I think that he doesn’t really want me to play football and I don't know what is up with that. I want to play football so I guess I will take his advice for what it's worth - what is it worth?
But anyways mission is good. After the interview we got a freezer!!! Ya ~ so sweet ~ no, not really! It is a nice storage unit because we have no power to turn it on unless we use the generator and we use that for important stuff. I guess beggars can't be choosers.
So after interviews, me and my companion wanted to get some food so we went to, what used to be, one of our favorite places. Cheap and good. Until this particular day, when we found some kind of animal teeth in our food! Luckily, I didn’t find it in my mouth but my companion did. So I think since we found bush meat in our food, we are going to limit our eating there.
My week was good so if you have questions feel free to ask. Love ya all!
Love Elder Kev
PS Caden, Justin and Cody ~ love ya too! Keep the faith

No comments:

Post a Comment