Current Time In Sierra Leone

Monday, January 23, 2012

Dear family,
How is life? Things here are still going great except I think that I am getting fat again. Unfortunately I am around 230. But I think that I am gaining my weight because I am getting pretty strong again. I am lifting boku!!! (That means a lot) I am thinking about just going on a orange diet because I have really come to love oranges. It isa food that I can buy most anywhere and it is relatively cheap. I can get three for just 1000 leones. It is nice and economic.
So the work here is pretty great, nothing to really complain about. The actual work is so awesome. It is the living conditions that takes a toll on your life. It's no wonder that people don’t live to be very old here. It is because of what they do to themselves just to live. But the work is so sweet. Strict obedience brings forth the blessings of heaven. It really does. I would admonish all missionaries to check themselves and see if they themselves are worthy of the blessings of heaven. If we are not doing our part then we cant expect others to do theirs.Something that I have learned this week is not to fear that we are inadequate but rather that we should be powerful beyondmeasure. It is our light, not our darkness that frightens us. The Lord gives us power to overcome any obstacle. This week in my studies I was reminded of something that Nephi saw. It is so cool because most people only describe how the Holy Ghost feels but Nephi describes how he looks. I think he is the only one to describe seeing him. That is in 1 Nephi 11:11. It is interesting. You should go look.
This week at church was great for investigators. My district blew the doors off the charts - not really - but for six people we had 50 plus investigators at church. We are really trying. We are making it a point to be the best. The motto that we have had or that I have carried around in my mission is to work smart. I always tell missionaries to work smart. I love when people catch on and they start to see success. My other motto (thanks dad) is "People honestly don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care". It is one of the truest statements that I know. This week we met the Misale family. There is this old guy, his name is Patrick and he is a stud. I think that we will baptize his whole family here soon. Every time I turn around, there is another child that he has. The count now is like 6. I don’t talk about people much because I leave people out and then I feel bad or it is just personal, but this guy is awesome so I thought I would let you know about him. He is a retired military man and his wife is a cook, and defintely one of the best herb/ plant cookers I have ever eaten from. They say that by their meals you shall know them. The problem with teaching lots of people and becoming good friends with them is that the food becomes very abundant and that is not good for my diet. It’s a sacrifice I will make for the work! I bet the food would not be to bad for you here because it is all plants but the problem is that it is soaked in oil. When I come home I am going to have a heart attack because of the good food, but like I said before, it will be a happy sickness.
I don’t know what really to say and it seems as if you have heard it all before so if anyone has questions please ask me and I will do my best to answer. Sorry I haven't written as often but I am in the bush and it is hard to send mail. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to tell you (maybe I shouldn't tell you) but this week when I was brushing I got bit by some bug or something because I developed this gnarly infection on my leg. But don’t worry dad taught me well. I took alcohol and a scrub brush and even bleach. Wow, it reminded me of laying on the counter while dad scrubbed the stones out of my back. But don’t worry it is clearing up now so no problems and no worries. I have had survived so many life threatening diseases while being here - it is quite the accomplishment! I can say I had malaria twice and typhoid and some other crazy diseases. Ya I am proud of it. When my football pals complain about joint pain or anything else I will just say hahaha try having malaria and typhoid then tell me you feel sick. Anyway, I am healthy and strong and working hard. Sorry for rambling on and on. Have a great week!
Love Elder Moss

No comments:

Post a Comment