Current Time In Sierra Leone

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Testimony

Wow another week has come and gone, it's crazy! Before we know it, I am going to be home. Things here are starting to turn around. Last Sunday we had 13 investigators at church. I think that is the most investigators that this branch has ever seen. We have been working really hard to get things going. I am not the type of person that likes to waste time. Me and my companion are doing well, sometimes we have our differences (well, lots of the time but you know it's better to just let him win). I have come to learn that the harder you throw a ball at the wall, the faster it comes back at you. So sometimes it is just better to leave things alone then to fight back.
This week the only really interesting thing was that I got my white handbook stolen from me, out of my room at night! But it's ok . I found it on the path alongside of our house. Crazy kids think I have money. Little do they know missionaries are poor.
Ok I guess more exciting things did happen last week. Elder Curtis from the 70 was here and he gave us a good instruction on the Book of Mormon. Man, I love that book! This year we are reading it again. I think I will be able to finish it again before I go home. I have been working on the Doctrine and Covenants forever. For like 5 months now and I am not done with it yet. When I finish I will try to hit the Book of Mormon for my 10th time on my mish. But we will see, I have lots I need to do before I go home.
This week I have been thinking a lot about my own testimony since mom gave her talk. We are always working on strengthening others but our own we never really talk about. I guess Caden really said it well. what hasn't changed about my testimony! I think my testimony sometimes is hidden by the complaints of my living conditions or my frustrations with my companions but my testimony has changed so much since I have been here. I never really talked much about it at home but I really learned that the church is true when dad broke his back. I remember when dad was lying on the ground and Brian and Uncle Robert left to wait for mom. I remember sitting on my knees just waiting for someone to come and help. Even though I was young, I decided to pray. I remember as I prayed, I just knew that everything was going to be ok. I knew that Heavenly Father had heard my prayer. Really, from that point on, I had never questioned the church to be true or anything about it for that matter. Then I met Riss and I started to think about my testimony. I started to think "is my testimony a rock or is it pretty flimsy". I knew I was leaving on mission and I knew I needed to change. So, once again, I prayed. I prayed to know what to do. I prayed to help me become better. Once again, I got the confirmation that everything was going to be ok. Just try your hardest, do your best. So I am here now, working away. Every day we take for granted the power of prayer. We take for granted our testimonies and pretty much everything about the church. My motto for my mission is to become better. Every day I ask myself "did I do my best today? Did I strive to become better than I was before?" As I have asked myself this, I have seen myself change. I have noticed that I really love this church. I can look any person dead in the face and tell them that I KNOW CHRIST LIVES, I KNOW HIM!! I have really learned what love is and I know what it means to love someone. As I have said before, I am a part of the fellowship of the unashamed. The decision has been made I have stepped up. I am done with low living, dwarfed goals and colorless dreams. I don't need to be first, right, recognized, regarded, praised or rewarded. I will not slow down, sit down or give up. I walk by faith and labor with power. The Lord is on my side and he is there to guide me. Sometimes, the road is narrow and people are there to tempt us. Never, ever give in to the adversary. Always keep the faith. Never lose faith in our Savior. He loves you and He loves me! Love in this life is key. I would admonish everyone to seek love. When you know what it means to love then everything bad no longer exists. You will always do what is right. I can't say it better than the scriptures "perfect love casteth out all fear". I feel bad that so many people use love just as a causal passive word. They don't understand what it means. But let me tell you love means you are willing to do anything. You will go where He wants you to go and do the very thing He would have you do. My father is a good example of this to me. He has taught me to always protect and love your family. To always be your best for them and that is what I will do. This mission is an experience that one can never forget. Missionary work is for everyone. It teaches you so much. I am grateful to know that I am called of God. It's amazing to know that my authority is above that of the kings of the earth. To know that I am a disciple of Christ. How much greater than that does it get. Missionary work is not easy, no doubt about that, but no pain or trial that we experience is wasted. If we take each one with humility, then we will grow from it, we will become better. For all those who are contemplating going on mission, I say to them something Justin's dad would always say, "MAN UP" . Go and do the things that the Lord commands and let the windows of heaven shower down upon you. There is nothing thus far in my life that has given me greater experience than my mission. Always remember that the strongest metal comes from the hottest fire. So to sum it all up: I LOVE GOD! I LOVE CHRIST! I LOVE MY FAMILY! Simply, I will do whatever it takes to be the best I can be!! Thank you to everyone who has helped to make me who I am today. Godspeed
Love Elder Moss (the missionary from the jungle)

No comments:

Post a Comment