Current Time In Sierra Leone

Monday, September 5, 2011

MTC Mates Reunited!

Hey family,

As you probably guessed, things are going great still.  The work is pressing forward.  We are focusing a lot now on refilling our teaching pool.  We can't complain too much when it is drained because they are baptized.  One of the things I noticed about myself is that I need to work harder on not getting comfortable with who we are teaching and always find more.  It is good to have the feeling of too many investigators because you cannot have too many, that's the sweet part.  One other thing I have been focusing on is my language, not the language as in English or Krio but my spiritual language. I read a quote a little bit back from President Monson and he said that the universal language of all missionaries is not learned in a textbook or a classroom, it is the spirit.  True conversion comes when you speak His language.  Conversion is not equivalent to knowledge that is for sure.  We are here to help people receive confirmation of what the spirit is telling them.

The coolest thing happened this week.  I am not going to lie, my heart was touched. And I know that sounds funny because I am a big burly manly man but my heart was touched by something that happened.  As I was walking down the road, passed a recent convert's house, I heard something that you do not hear coming from the windows of a house.  I stopped and went back and listened.  I heard a 9 year old little girl, who is not a member but her older sister is, singing "I am a child of God and he has sent me here.  Leads me, guides me, walks beside me, helps me find the way.  Teach me to live with him someday".  That's all she could remember as she was singing.  Man my heart was burning to know that this country can change through the faith of our recent converts and the children turning their hearts to Heavenly Father.  A great work can be done.  I was reading in Alma 34 and 31/32 and it stuck out to me a lot.  I guess in a sense everyday is a day of decision.  We need to decide whether we will continue faithful, remain open to the spiritual promptings and also keep our covenants.  I think we need to decide now whether we will continue to pause on our spiritual plateau or choose instead to fight the inertia and fight to climb higher.   Every thought, every feeling, every action makes us who we are and what we will become. There is nothing that we can do about our past except to repent, and the future does not belong to us yet, we truly only have now.  So I guess I have to ask myself what am I doing now. How am I preparing to meet God? What am I doing to lift others around me?  I know recently I have a lot of things that are helping me to prepare for my own future. There has been a heavy task laid on my own lap. The branch has decided that I can do a lot work. Well, ok that's not true.  I have kind of asked for it in a sense. I am pushing to do lots of things like home teaching and PEC and firesides and baptisms and callings like visiting teaching.  Lots of work for a small soul like me. They are working with me but man, its lots to do. Currently I am planning a fireside as well as trying to get home teaching started but to do that I am pushing the branch to get new a elders quorum presidency.  We just got the relief society all worked out. So we will see how it goes. Teaching is going ok.  Like I said earlier, when you speak the universal language of missionaries (by the spirit) conversion will take place. I notice that when we are strictly obedient to the rules, the Lord showers down the blessings of Heaven on us. And that is why the work is so rapidly progressing. People can see that we are here because we love them not because we want to live this way because, quite frankly, no one wants to live like this.  But they can see that we are willing to sacrifice our time, our money and many other things to help them with their own salvation.  I get the opportunity very often to teach multiple classes at church haha I kind of like it. It tests me to be able to come up with a subject off the cuff and teach for an hour and then immediately after, do it again. Its strenuous but cool! I guess I am growing up.

I decided that I need to introduce another phase into operation get stacked. To my exercise, I added a punching bag for some nice cardio. Plus it is kind of fun. So we will see if I can get rid of these stubborn love handles, and that extra love I am carrying around. If my calculations are correct I should be a fine piece of eye candy when I return home, haha.

I love you guys so much and miss you like crazy but  soon I will be home, less than 9 months wahooo crazy crazy. Transfers are Sunday so we will see what happens.  Hopefully someone that loves to work hard.  Those are the best.  That's why I try to be that guy. Recently I have seen an increase of love because we have been receiving some nice free meals. I can always tell true conversion by the food that they feed us, just kidding.  But man, it's nice to get free food especially since I am poor. Oh and dad how I would love to eat mac and cheese. I remember you saying to get used to eating mac and cheese because that will be dinner for the next two years of your life.  Well, right now, I would love some mac and cheeses!  I also wish I could do the dishes in the sink without toting water from a well and pouring with one hand and scrubbing with the other!  Oh well . . .

Love you guys.  Take care.  I liked this "thee lift me and I'll lift thee and we will ascend together!!"

Love Elder Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment