Current Time In Sierra Leone

Monday, September 19, 2011

 
Dear family,
 
How are things going over there? That seems to be the start of every single one of my emails. So how are things?  To start, no I haven't got any packages and/or mail for a while because the post office is still on strike, as well as all other government jobs.  It makes me really mad that they are on strike but I can't really blame them considering they have not been paid in a couple of years. I don't know why they continued to work for years when they never got paid.  I think I would make it a couple of months before I would decide to say, "if you don't pay me, I wont work." The pay that school teachers get here is really ridiculous.   You would not even believe it. Some will get round about 40 to 50 us dollars a month. Ya that is real!  How does anyone expect to live on a mere 40 dollars a month. I mean just for a 50 lb bag of rice costs 20 bones. So the poor people here, yes they are suffering.  So hmmm, I guess I haven't told you much about these things.   The food and things here can actually be expensive.   It is because everything has to be imported.  Luckily, I have enough money.

Well I guess that I better tell mom and dad happy 26th anniversary!!!  Wow you guys are old,  haha!  No, you are doing good.  My companion was actually thinking that you guys were my brother and sister. That is no joke!  Most of the people say, "wow your parents are so young!" That is because everyone here that is 40 looks like they are dead or they probably are dead by 40. That's what happens when you walk the side of a mountain everyday and all you eat is lawn clippings once a day or twice if you are lucky.  So I hope that you guys have a happy week and you have a good celebration of your anniversary!

This week I have come to learn or I am trying to learn that life's greatest gifts normally come wrapped up in adversity!  When you think that things are not that great they probably are that great and it probably will get worse. This week was a nice smack in the face. I don't want to sound to down but I really have a beef with the new district leader. He is lucky I am the new Elder Moss because the old one would have knocked him a new one.  Instead I held it in.   Well kind of ~ that's why I have a punching bag.  We are really having some disagreements.  I am really, really organized and I hate laziness. If you are not 15 minutes early, well then you are late. I tried and tried to get everything set for my interviews to be done for my candidates but he would not work with me.   Finally, at 9 the night before, he settles on a time.  So I luckily got a hold of them and convinced them to come to the chapel. Once they got there he was late. So I am trying to put on a baptism as well as get interviews done. And because he was late, some of them had to leave so they were pushed to the next day which was Sunday. They were there and he was late again. And again they had to go. So now today we will try again. But that is not the worst of it.  I have  come to deal with that kind of thing. This is what chaps my hide. We had a mother and daughter interview yesterday. The husband is a strong member and the wife and daughter are ready. The daughter is 9, need I say more.  He interviews them both and gives me back the paperwork and says nothing to me and goes to sacrament meeting.  So we plan the baptism, tell them the time and everything and I go to my meetings. Later that night, in the apartment, he calls me into his room. He wants to talk about this 9 year old girl.  He tells me that he needs to see her again.  So I say ok but why?   He said that she needs to know more about the law of chastity before she can get baptized.  Oh, I was flamed.   She is 9 is years old!  What 9 year old needs to know the law of chastity!  So I calmed down and then he tells me that I need to tell them that we have to postpone.  So I was given the dirty deed of telling them.  I  had 87 people get interviewed and the only one that has not passed is a nine year old girl, what a joke! 
 
So I have met all the new missionaries and they are good.   It was nice to see them.   I met elder Donaldson.  He is cool and he is in Bo. Oh sweet Bo!  He is lucky. Also this week we got dvd players.  That will be fun, not.  It is only to use for training and that is the only dvd's we have.  So one of my new challenges is English teacher.   Any idea's?   My companion can't read or write.  And, yes, that is not a joke.  He has never read any of the standard works or anything because he can hardly read.  I don't know how he got here but oh well.  It's going to be a rough transfer but at least he has a good attitude and we are going to try to make the best of things. I love all you guys so much.   Thank you guys for everything.  I love you guys!
 
Love Elder Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment