Current Time In Sierra Leone

Monday, August 1, 2011

Running Water - Yahoo!!

Dear family,
How are things over there? Things are just great here! Just workin' away. I don't really know what to say today. Nothing much exciting happened this week. Nothing out of the norm. Oh, ok something did happen this week - it was transfer news. With that once again nothing exciting. Literally a total of like 6 people moved. Not one person changed in Liberia and only a few here in Sierra Leone. Which is not too bad for me because I'm getting into this area and getting to know it. So it is ok with me that I did not change. I really don't like changing too much except for the fact that it makes time just whizz on by. I figure that I might hit Christmas in this area or at least Thanksgiving. But I am really coming to love the people here and the branch. I tell that I am getting a little tired and that is not sleepy tired. I am tired of the living conditions, that goes without saying, but I am tired of the branch relying on me to do everything. If there is a problem, they look to me for an answer. I know it is an amazing opportunity to learn but it can be stressful at times. So I guess Pres. got the email about me playing football. We had to go to his office this week to have him do a baptism interview for us. Let me tell you, the travel is another story all in itself. But we got there, he did the interview and it we got the ok for baptism so another baptism this weekend. But after he did the interview he pulled me in and told me he had received the email from mom. So I talked to him for a little bit. He told me that the earliest that he can send me home is 30 days early. So the earliest I could leave is June 3rd. I told him that I will do some more praying and talking to my family. I'm thinking I don't want to lose my scholarship. So I will continue to pray and consult my family, Riss and leaders and make a decision. At this point, I am leaning toward playing football again.

So this week the senior couple's children came to visit the mission. That was quite a different experience. I asked them if I have bad English and they said no but sometimes I use a funny accent when I talk. Also they said that I have good krio because they have no idea  what I'm saying when I talk. It is fun to talk to people from home and share some of the experiences I have had here.  It just seems too early to be sharing my experiences.  It was just weird.

So we have been teaching these people which I call the gang mostly because there are a lot of them, like 8.  They are doing so good.  They will be ready for baptism soon. We are projecting about 13 or more baptisms for us this month. Just for our branch. I am pretty stoked about that.  I am hoping that that is the minimum. We might have more.

So I don’t know if in conference you have heard of something called outreach but it is an awesome program that really helps out the youth. Elder and Sister Neves run it here. I love it and it really helps the youth get closer to the gospel. At our last youth extravaganza there were over 100 youth at the church playing volleyball, soccer and even football. It was a sight to see.

So I don’t really have much else to say except thanks so much for all the love and the prayers. We have had power for like 3 days now and we  have also we had enough water . . . well enough to shower today now. It wasn’t extreme pressure but it came out of the wall and it washed all of the soap out of my hair! Prayer answered.

I wanted to explain to you guys why I am always wet. As I am walking down the street and the rivers of Babylon are falling from the sky I get soaked.  Some people ask me why I don't use an umbrella.  I explained that early in my mission, I came to this house and asked the investigator why they weren't at church and they told me, with a sad look, that they didn't have an umbrella. I thought to myself, who cares if you are soaked. You can come to church soaked, in a t-shirt and shorts.  So I decided that I would no longer use an umbrella or a raincoat myself so that they could see that if I can go to church wet, so can they. That is my story.

Hope all is well take care of the fam and you know who.  Love ya guys!

Love, Elder Kevbo

No comments:

Post a Comment