Current Time In Sierra Leone

Monday, July 11, 2011


Hello family,

How are things going this week? Things here are still kickin along. Iwant you to know right now that this is going to be bad because the keyboard is sticking like crazy and is super hard to type on so bear with me. So not a lot to say this week really but it was a good week and we had a baptism that went very well. Well, when we finally got it started, it went well. So the story behind this is kind of funny. As you might have seen, Kissy got a new chapel that is very nice and it has a font which is huge.  I would say that it is big enough to fit enough to have a pool party.  Well, maybe not that big but it is really, really big. There are advantages and disadvantages to having a font this size. One, it looks really cool when it is in use and it helps for a nice spiritual experience. The down fall is that we don't have water to fill it. It takes about 5 plus hours to fill. The national water has been in short supply for sometime now so we are kind of  . So all we had were tanks of reserve water.  So we went to go and use those tanks. It got about a quarter of the way full and we decided t go and teach and then come back.  When we got back, I looked in the font and all of the sudden mud started to pump into the font.  I took off in a sprint because this baptism is an outdoor service (where you sit is pretty cool) and where you have to turn the water off is inside! So I am sprinting to unlock the bathroom and then the font door to turn off the water but by the time we got it off the font looked like a swamp. So I asked one of the people there what happened. They told me the tank was out of water. So I asked "where did you get water". They filled about 1000 gallons of water into a tank from a well. So I run over and turn of the well pump so the whole reserve tank isn't full of mud. So I ask how can we get the mud out of our tank. There is no way to drain the tanks except through the font or  and sinks. I cannot believe when they did all the piping they did not think about this. Anyway, to make a longer story short, we just had to drain it through the font. So it is like 9 and we are trying to call everyone and reschedule the time and place for the baptism. But we got it all worked out and had a very, spiritually uplifting baptism. This work is great!

So before I forget to type it, Happy Birthday Mom and Brandon.  I would have sent a card but there aren't any in Sierra Leone.  Know that I love you and have not forgot about you.  Guess what Mom?  Next year for your birthday, I will be your present!

Something exciting and kind of crazy to add to the list of crazy things that I have eaten is dog tongue.  Yeah, I know, it was as gross as it sounds.  But come on, if it is put on your plate, you have to eat it, right?  I think I shouldn't write these things down.  I don't think anyone will want to kiss me knowing the things that have been in my mouth!

So something really frustrating since I have been on mission is that my beard won't stinkin' stop growing! It really makes me mad. I will have a 5 o'clock shadow and before I leave for proselyting I almost have to shave again!

To say our area is mountainous would be an understatement. When I say it is steep, I mean there are times when I am on all fours climbing up the hill! With all this climbing, I will be at 190 before I know it.  With all the rain though, it makes it really had for people to come to church.

So this week we had interviews with President Roggia.  He told me some good things. He told me he has seen a mighty change in me.  He told me that I have become one of his best missionaries. It was very humbling and he also told me that I needed to help my companion grow like I have.

That's it for this week. I love you guys and Riss.  Boku te te te

Love, Elder Big Kev

Ps sorry mom and dad for lack of handwritten letters. I'm repenting and working
it! I love you guys



No comments:

Post a Comment