Current Time In Sierra Leone

Monday, December 27, 2010

Just Call Me Bobana

Hey family,

So it has been just a few short days since I have talked to you guys on the phone. I tell you it was good to hear you guy's voices! But I am a little disappointed cause it seems like I did not get to say really anything that I wanted to. And very sorry to Sherissa because the phone was having a rough time so my apologies are to her! Last week was very long and very unproductive. We tried but we really did not get a single thing done. Really, it is hard and our area is really struggling. It is one thing to suffer the things we do but it is another thing to suffer and not have the work going crazy. So I was trying to think of the fun things that have happened. And I think I have told you most about the party and stuff. Christmas has come and gone and I did not even know that it happened. It is a good thing that I had a calendar or I would have for sure missed it. Except maybe the fact that I was counting down to hear your beautiful voices. I feel that I have the need to tell every one thank you for all of the gifts. It is so awesome this time a year as we are all commemorating the birth of our Savior, that we can still remember the other things in this life and how important family is. And I am glad that you did not forget about me on the other side of the planet. Since I am lacking stamps, I better say thank you to Sister Lamb and Brother Lamb for the
gift. I appreciated it. I also need to thank gma k. You are awesome! Thank you for supporting me and loving me. I hope all is well with you and grandpa. I wish you a happy new year to come and year filled with blessings. And I hope that you guys are enjoying yourselves over there. Also, Grandma and Grandpa Moss and Uncle Greg and Aunt Shannon and my other family, the Randalls. You were all so kind and generous. Thank you.

Now, for some reason every one was trying to dodge us on Christmas, which is sad, so we did not have the greatest of days. We got rained on, we were all muddy and one forced appointment. And we walked miles. I tell you. But I did get to sit down and see what a few kids got. You would be amazed to see the look on their faces to see what they got. Some kids, if they got anything, it was a used pair of clothes and the really lucky ones got about 40 leone dollars or 25-30 cents. Wow it was amazing to see how happy they were. And it is because now they have probably 3 pairs of clothes. Kids here will go through their whole childhood with one or two pairs. You may ask what do they do when they wash them. Well you guessed it they don't wear any! But most are not that bad. Most have a couple. But they probably do not like the rain because it means that inside the house gets all wet. Most people have used tin roofs. So they put what ever they can find inside there 8x8 house, just big enough for a bed, to catch water. Then most of those people will use the water that they collected to cook with or drink. So when ever you are down in the dumps thinking you are neglected, be happy that you have a dish to wash, be happy that you have water that you can drink, that you don't have to collect in a bucket. Be happy you get to wash clothes in a washing machine. How I would die right now to tell my dad I would LOVE to mow the lawn. I would LOVE to clean the kitchen. Why? Because I don't have those nice things. In the spirit of Christmas, I have come to realize that you need to be happy with what you have and don't always be looking at what you want. I am excited to see the new year come but it doesn't really matter to me what year it is because a day gone is a day closer to being home. I love this poem:

Another year is dawning,
Dear Father let it be,
In working or in waiting,
Another year with thee.
Another year of progress,
Another year of praise,
Another year of proving
Thy presence all the days.
Another year of mercies,
Of faithfulness and grace,
Another year of gladness,
The glory of thy face.
Another year of leaning
Upon thy loving breast,
Another year of trusting,
Of quiet, happy rest.
Another year of service,
Of witness for thy love,
Another year of training
For holier work above.
Another year is dawning,
Dear Father, let it be,
On earth, or else in heaven,
Another year for thee.

What a awesome poem! I really like the end another year for thee. Because that is why we are here, so that we, as sons of our Heavenly Father can go out and share the wonderful message that Jesus Christ lives! He is the son of God. I know that and I want people to know that as well. How could we harness such a great knowledge as latter day saints and not want to just shout it to all. Sweet is the work! The way that our lives are lived is one of the best ways to be missionaries. So kudos to all that are living well. In the gift that Riss sent, she sang the song Be Still My Soul, and because I was listening so intently (because it was her), I really started to understand the song and it became on of my favorites right there. Be still my soul, the Lord is on my side. Enough said in that little statement right there. Music has such power in it. I just wish that I could be a better singer so that I could portray the amazing words written for us to hear. In our program that we had, we had to do a skit so we thought it would be fun to do the first part of the Book Of Mormon and getting the plates from Laban. But we did it modern style. Oh it was so funny. I was laughing like crazy. That is some fun stuff that happened.

So I don't really have a whole lot more to say. Yesterday the church had other churches over and they pretty much had a music show down. It was pretty fun to be able to see some soul music. But…. They would not give us the time of the day which was the soul purpose of inviting them. Afterwards, it was funny they are always astonished at how strong that I am. I lifted half the piano myself while 3 people lifted the other
half. It was nice. Today, mhmmm, was good except I scraped up my knee. We played soccer and dominated. Guess what position I play? Yes, Striker. Why? Because I am Bobana haha. That's my new name and it will be on the back of my truck as a sticker when I get home. It means big man. The internet is slow today so no promises on the pictures. Maybe at the church they have internet. Today I scored 2 goals. I know I am getting good. Riss look out. And I am playing with people that are really good. So I have decided I am slacking on my weight loss. I really need to step it up a notch. I will start running again in the mornings to boost my diet. I guess you could say.

I am so jelous of Caden. It is not fair that he gets to skype and I get a crap phone that I cant hardly hear. But I am happy for him. Just one of the many blessings of Africa. Well I better end and say that patience is a virtue I love each and ever one of you. Thank you for all you do. I love you
guys. Have a great new year! Love ya

Love BOBANA

No comments:

Post a Comment