Current Time In Sierra Leone

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Patience, Patience, Patience

Sorry everyone ~ with all the excitement of Christmas, it has taken me until now to get to this.  We had a wonderful phone call with Elder Moss yesterday and he is doing well.  He misses the familiarity of Christmas.  He said it was just another day in Africa, not many signs of Christmas there.  It was so great to hear his voice.  We received this letter on Wednesday and should have another one tomorrow.  Sorry for the delay . . . .

Dear family of mine,

This week I received your wonderful love in the mail and I want to say I am deeply grateful for everything. It is amazing how much you treasure things when you no longer have them. It is so great to have a loving family and friends back home with such great support and power.  Something that I learn every blessed day of my mission is that PATIENCE is a virtue.  It's funny how you can learn things that are forced upon you.  I was reading in my journal the other day and read something that President Lyman had said to me the night I was set apart as a missionary.  He said that each companion will teach you, yep, you guessed it, patience. I sure hope he didn't mean EVERY companion.   You know, I am slowly learning.  Nothing, I mean NOTHING can be about Kevin Moss. That is what I am learning.   Just submit to others and all is well in the companionship. Lots of time to ponder and talkless days walking around.  But I really get to reflect on the love that my Savior truly has for me. I mean at least I am alive. Although I may have times of toils and pain, my Heavenly Father will never forsake me. Although the road may be bumpy and rough, I will learn and grow. If it doesn't kill you it will heal you. That is a good thing. 
 
To start out, this week we haven't done alot of missionary work this whole week. We had conference on Monday and Tuesday. Well it was a get together.  We watched a movie, and went and cleaned this nasty school.   I can tell you, if you ever in your life think that our school is semi bad just keep your mouth shut I mean, if you need to go to the bathroom here then that would be the back corner of the classroom. Half of the chairs are broken.  They have 3 legs.  I think that they are hand me down desks from little house on the prairie. Haha Riss'  fam will appreciate that.  Some other things this week is that we went and sang at the hospital in front of hundreds of people.   Guess what they laid on me -  ya, a solo.  Wow, I am not a good singer so I don't know why I have to sing so much.  Also, in the concert last week my solo had some people in tears.  I am not so sure if they were tears of pain or tears of joy.  Speaking of singing good, Sherissa sang on my tape and it was amazing.  I think that I am going to need either a new tape player or another copy of the tape riss sent me.   Can you wear them out?   Cause that might happen!   And Brian, I will be expecting a full refund of the gifts you took over for me.   Just kidding, enjoy.   Christmas in the Liberia,  no it is not the same.  It is soooooo hot. I have been sleeping for a total of about 3 hours max a night. Cause I just sweat like no ones business.  And this rash that is consuming my body is not too pleasant either. But what do you do t.i.a.  
 
So I have been asked if I am from just about every country on the planet.  The one for this week is Ireland. I wish I would have a sweet accent. We decided to do some random contacts and teach cause we have some not so good investigators.  Turns out catholics are super stubborn but if you know your stuff then they don't have a leg to stand on.  There is a religious people here that call themselves chrislums. Oh my they are muslim and christian combination.  I don't know how that works cause they are so contradicting. But what the heck, this is Africa, anything goes here. Also I recently found out that this small boy in my branch spoke his first words and won't shut up.  Guess what he said?  Moss.  And his older brother is not so much older and he walks around asking for Moss the boss.   Cool, at least someone here loves me.
 
Hmmm fun things that happened or that are happening. I hope that you don't watch they news.  If not this might be news to you. Ivory coast has established or is having war. I don't know if you know where that is but it is next door to Liberia.  People here are kind of scared but whatever.  But next year there might be some kind of war here cause of elections.   This guy, he was a rebel and now he is running for president. They are suspecting he might win. Joy right? So all the American missionaries are out of Ivory Coast. I hope that that does not happen here cause that would kill all the work that I have been doing.  Satan always tries to destroy the family like Isaac, Samson, John the baptist, Moses, Samuel, Jesus.  Look them up its cool. Man
family is a great gift from our Heavenly Father.  I testify to you that we are blessed as a family to have each other but even more blessed to know that our Heavenly Father loves us more than anything. Out of all the billions and billions of stars our Heavenly Father decided that this was the place that he needed to go. What a honor and blessing it is to be in this dispensation of the fullness of times.   How great is it to be alive on this earth. Although every single person in my apartment hates America, I love it.  It is a blessed land. How awesome it is to live there.  It's funny that they think that I can't hear them raging on America when I am in the next room.
 
I love all of the gifts that were sent.  I thank you so much for them,  I can't even tell you how much I love them. Every single one.  Pants are great and they are perfect even a little loose.  I put a shirt on yesterday and I fit very nicely in a large.  I will send a pic if I can. I am a master at the cube and I love to listen to Riss, oh she is a angel. The zone leader asked me why I was so happy and I said cause I just listened to an angel of God.  Oh some bad news,  t.i.a.   I don't have an oven.  But you know me, I am creative.  I will make one.   Riss don't worry. Thanks for all the stuff.
 
Something I have learned is that if you don't open you mouth nothing can come out of it. So I am trying to stop complaining. I am going to try to talk to you in Kalukwa so you can't understand me or Krio.   I haven't decided.   JK, I will talk in English.  I will call 7 here or around then which is about 12 there.

I told you I was learning the piano.  Uh I suck, but guess what I PLAYED the piano in sacrament meeting.  WHAT!!!!  I suck but I played just the right hand. Hahaha I don't know why they asked but I did it anyways. And watch out Riss, I am getting so dang good at soccer.  It is insane in the membrane. I am going to do work when I get home. Like nothing. The cds are sweet, well I can tell you about that on the phone. So I have to sing again this week, uh it will be alright.
 
I have been praying like nothing to be able to have eternal eyes and it is really working. How it is to see the big picture and it is so great. Don't trade what you want most for what you want at the moment.  I saw the good timber poem on the Ences program. I sent that to you too, I love that. I hope all is well with the people of St. G and I am doing alright.  Keeping to myself and fighting through the storm. Cause there is always sunshine after a storm.  In the illustrious words of ronald mcdonald (mmmmm McDonald's, that sounds sooooo good) put a smile on.

Riss, family, every one, I love you to death keep on keeping on.  Until Saturday, I love you guys.  Merry Christmas to all!  Enjoy the holidays.

Love, Elder Moss

No comments:

Post a Comment