Current Time In Sierra Leone

Monday, February 20, 2012

Elder Holland is Amazing!

Hello family,

How was the week? Mine was pretty good, just seemed kind of unproductive. We had a good week before our long trip down to Freetown. We really did not get much accomplished except we had a few lessons and I got our distribution all figured out, it had been screwed up from previous missionaries that did not care. As you know, we started our journey to Freetown Thursday. Unfortunately, they let us know our travel arrangements on Wed. night at about 9:30 and, even more unfortunately, president wanted me to be in charge of the group of 6 missionaries that he wanted to take travel on the government bus at 4 in the morning. It was rather enjoyable trip and the other missionaries got a kick out of the lady that was hitting on me on the bus. Lucky for her she got my number (the number I gave her was the mission phone in the area she lives in haha). Man I feel bad that I kind of lied but I really don’t cause i am a missionary and it is weird that she was trying to hit on mean. She said she wanted to add me on facebook but she will find out quick that I won't add her cause I don’t get on facebook! I think these African women are looking for a white man to get them out of her because this is a regular thing. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the woman to flock to me like this in America! Not only am I an African chick magnet but I think I am also a drunk man magnet too. I am always having problems with drunk people wanting to fight me and telling me to go back to America. I think it is funny but my companions get scared when they get all up in my face. I have learnd to stay very cool. I just walked away. I know, I know you are very impressed. Anyway, back to the trip - after we arrived in Freetown, we met the assistants and they took us to Godrich mansion!!! Holy smokes - those people are enjoying American luxury. That is where elder Andersen stays. He is a good guy. He is from Bloomington and lives in Grandma and Grandpa's ward. I spent the weekend with him. He really has a good attitude about the work. I love when people are here to work and work hard and not just because the are a missionary but because they love the gospel.

Soooo, as you know, Elder Holland was here in Freetown. Man, I never knew he was so funny. He was making us laugh the entire time. It was interesting because he was here along with the African west area presidency and Elder Snow and others. It was a big weekend. One of the things he said was so true. He said, "the road to salvation always goes through Gesthemene." I love that one. Ir is one of my new favorite quotes. He told us that we have a “real” mission here in Africa. I am sure he tells everyone that but it was cool. He commended us for our obedience and success. It was a good conference. Look out for me in the Liahona or Ensign or something. I had lots of pictures taken of me and was with the camera men helping them carry stuff (one of the joys of being big). So Saturday was a free day - well not really. We went and had Elder Andersen looked at (he was not feeling good). It was lots of traveling to see this doctor. Anyway,he seems to be fine (tell his mom not to worry). I just think the problem is that he is just not used to the fact that this is Africa not America. It is going to be strenuous on your body. Anyway, Sunday was good. I was in the main hall with Elder Holland because I was the usher at the main door into the hall making sure no crazies did anything. Just kidding. I was just trying to direct the mass flow of traffic. So I was standing at the door for a few hours listening to the apostle and it was so sweet. I decided that it would be so awesome to be a bodyguard for an apostle so I am going to have to figure out how to get that job! After the conference, we went back to Bo and here I sit. Oh, how could I forget that when I got back I had to pack because transfer news came early. I am going to Njagboiama branch (which is still in Bo) with Elder Essel. It is going to be interesting to say the least. Busy busy busy. We are both new in the area. He pulled Elder Essel from Freetown and me from another branch. We are whitewashing the area so I have a lot to learn In the next few days before the missionaries there leave. But I am happy cause I am not a district leader any more. Man that is a headache being a dl. Alright, now I am a zone leader - we'll see how that goes. President said he wanted me to "help the elders to see the face of god" and to teach them the fundamentals of teaching. We shall see . . .
So I had good studies this week. I learned more about my father in heaven. I made an interesting connection about how much Heavenly Father knows us. I never thought about it like this but when ever Heavenly father appears to someone or Christ he calls them by their first name. I thought that was cool. It just shows how much he loves us. Another thing I thought about was what really makes heaven, Heaven? I think what makes heaven is eternity with my wife and family. That is heaven all in itself and with out that heaven would cease to be heaven. I love you guys. Have a great week!
Love Elder Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment