Current Time In Sierra Leone

Monday, November 22, 2010

Hello family,

So it has been a week since I have emailed you and I have to say that this week actually seemed like it went by kind of fast. To be completely honest with you my Monday was terrible.  I can't even imagine how crappy Justin is feeling considering the fact that I was doing so bad. Man I loved that man so much. I think that I spent like 2 hours on my knees Monday night trying to pray about all of the bad things that were happening back at home. I think sometimes I have it bad here but I don't even have it bad at all compared to some people that are at home and to other people that are on missions. Sure sometimes it is hard here cause the living conditions are no that great but it will make coming home that much greater. You really gain a great respect for all of the things that we have back home. How blessed we are to live in an area like we do with such great living standards and such great people to live around.
 
So here's what's happened this week.   I got dad's hymn book that I have been waiting for. Man that has been a long time coming but the funny thing is that when I opened it up and started to look at the hymns I realized it is from 1975 which means it is the old hymn book, before it was revised. It is really cool but kind of hard to use. But don't worry I love it. Something cool I found out is shoe goo works really good for book bindings I already had to fix my Book of Mormon and bible.   Africa is kind of rough on them. But don't worry I got the book all fixed up good as new.  I got my memory card too.  I am working hard to get that thing filled with pictures and videos so that I can send it home for Christmas because I have to be honest with you I really can't really send anything else home for Christmas because lets face it t.i.a.   This is a commonly used sang here it means this is Africa. That is what all the people here blame their problems on. I think it is funny because they are what makes up Africa and they have some kind of belief or something that no one is at fault for the condition that it is in.
 
I am really hoping that those packages you sent to the office come cause I'm trying to guess what dad's present is;  It is  really starting to drive me nuts! I want to know what it is so bad.  If it gets lost I will be so sad. But I thank you for everything that you guys do for me. But we will pray that all goes well and my package arrives safe and sound, right?

Every week you guys ask me about baptisms and I was looking back on my records and I am up too 25 souls that the Lord has helped me bring to this great gospel.  How awesome is that!   So the work is just moving right along. I ordained 4 people to the priesthood and also I got to confirm 3 people to the church last Sunday. Then we had another baptism this weekend that really went quite well.   I had some people sing and it probably wasn't the best choice for my ears but the spirit was so strong there. Something that you soon realize is that people here don't sing all that well but the good thing is that they try really hard and that is all that matters in God's eyes.  We have been teaching this girl but we don't know if she is 7 or 8 because no one has any birth records but she passed the interview so hopefully we can get through the confusion and get her baptized.
 
So you know the guy that I got in a fight with- well his wife just accepted a baptism date so that is pretty cool. I am a little sad that I am going to be missing so many baptisms that I have been working so hard on. But its ok I am leaving them in good hands.  Another cool thing is a guy from a professional soccer team just accepted a baptism date so that is going to be sweet but I will miss that as well
 
Funny story, we were having a lesson and all was going well.  We were feeling the spirit when I noticed these two kids sitting there.  One was a boy and the other was a girl and they were sitting and eating a pretty sick looking fish and well, they started to argue.   Anyway, the boy made the girl mad and then she replied with a swift hit in the face with a burnt fish. Ha, needless to say, I started to laugh cause, let's be honest, how many times do you see someone get hit in the face with a dead fish. I did learn a few things from this.  One - don't eat fish and two don't make someone mad who is eating a fish!
 
So I am not going to lie, this week I broke mission rules.  I know, I know, please don't chastise me too much.  But I was sitting on this rock waiting for an appointment eating this stuff that is so sick.   It looks just like bamboo and it taste about the same but the people here love it.  I saw some kids come up eating stuff off of the streets and drinking water out of the puddles on the side of the road from the rain. It was obvious that they hadn't eaten in a while so I broke a rule and gave them some food and bought them some water. I don't care if I get in trouble my heart could not take seeing that.
 
So interesting story about one of the guys we baptized this week.  He was actually referred to us from the sister missionaries in Salt Lake.  Now we are going to baptize his whole family. Well I am not going to.  I might have to come back though.  I think his wife is at least 500 lbs.  Man that's big. I am not sure that I could even baptize her and I am the biggest man in the mission hands down.  I know with the Lord's help, I could do it. No one is too heavy for the Lord.

This week we had district conference.   It was so good it. So I am getting transferred to one of the best areas with Elder Boyedoe.   He is not that fun I hear.  We will see, I am looking for the good in everyone.  Yes I am still in Liberia and I am going to Dualla. So I will be spending Christmas there.  Speaking of, make sure Riss is there.   Oh I hope you enjoy Thanksgiving.   I don't care who gets my pie but as you are enjoying all your wonderful food, think of me eating rice and leaves for dinner. I am so thankful for all of you and Riss and her family.   Thanksgiving is great.  I love you guys so much.
 
Oh, another funny thing.  So we are in a very serious lesson and this lady asks us how we got the pictures in the pamphlet of Christ and Joseph Smith (like we personally took the pictures).   It was so funny.  We had to explain it was a painting.
 
So most every family here has more than one kid.  We think the kids have a bet with each other on who gets to wear what clothes for the day. Because some kids a wearing just a shirt and others are wearing just pants and the rest are naked.  Oh its so funny. I am always like oops I guess he lost the bet.
 
I have been healthy, knock on wood, but this kid in our mish has typhoid, malaria and worms!  Talk about bad luck.  Oh ya guess what?  Two more people are named after me and Riss. I named a boy moss and then this lady is like well what her name going to be and I got this big grin and, of course, I said Riss. She said why that and I said cause she is my hero.  Well, you guys have lots of letters coming.  Family, I love you.   Mom, Dad, thanks for everything.  Give B a kiss for me.  Thanks ~  love ya

 
Love Big Elder Moss

No comments:

Post a Comment