Current Time In Sierra Leone

Monday, April 18, 2011

Dear family,

 

Things here are great as ever I guess you could say  So for my week, it was pretty crazy.  We had to travel a lot. So my money is really suffering. But it is just another one of the trials of being a missionary I guess. Just another thing that I can learn from and another thing that can make me more of a man. There is something that I heard somewhere that came back to my mind as I was reading this week.  It is just as vital as what we do,  however, is who we are! I have been asking myself a lot this week, who is Kevin Moss really? What type of person am I really? I was reading in my journal during the week and I could not help but laugh at myself. I remember reading this one part that says, "man I really miss Riss and my family.  Its going to be a long two years."   You know when I wrote that?  July!  Man,I was laughing. I am such a wimp. But I am growing up. There really is not that much big news with me just that I am working hard. Something that really made me so happy this week was we have been talking to this lady who hasn't come to church in ten years.   We decided to bear testimony to her and tell her that its ok to come back.  Needless to say she was at church on Sunday with her whole family.  After church we had a baptism, which went really good.  I am going to be honest, I am getting really good at planning baptisms considering I have planned oodles since I have been here. The kid that got baptized is Jeffery.  He is a stud!  He is the third person in his family to come to the church and we are now working on the mom and the younger brother. I love how we are doing this new way of teaching. We focus all on the spirit. It makes teaching easy. Well kind of.   It makes it so we really have to be in tune with the spirit. Sometimes things here can really break my heart. It is so hard to see all of the people that are suffering here in this country. There is so many kids that can't read and there are so many kids that don't have food or even a place to live. There are so many kids that just need a friend or need someone to say hello. This church, the gospel of Jesus Christ is the answer to peoples suffering.  If we turn our hearts to the Lord and work for him then we can receive the blessings of hard work. But it start with the parents.   Sometimes I just can't get it through their thick skulls that they need to set the example.   They need to show the love in their families.   They need to pray at nights with their families and read the scriptures.  But they just don't seem to understand the importance. I have learned I am going to be the father that prays with my family at night that, reads our scriptures and goes to church each and every Sunday. I have seen how the family can be blessed by living the gospel. But some people just can't understand. Man it is frustrating.

 

Funny but sad story.   I was eating lunch in this shack, and  after lunch I come out, do a little stretch look around and see some kids enjoying blowing up some "balloons".   I start talking to my comp, then I think for a second in my mind and I just say oh no please no. I look back at the kids and I am sure you guessed they were not balloons.   I am sure I don't really need to tell you what they were but the kids should not have a hold of them. This country is  sad that way.   They don't care what the kids are doing. I just wished parents would love and care for their kids more. But I don't know how to teach them that.

 

So I guess you want to know about Elder Taylor. Yes, he is in the apartment and yes we get along.  It is nice to have another American.  Say hi to his mom for me!

 

In the excitement of Easter, I want you to know that I am grateful for our Savior. I am also so grateful for you guys as my family I love all of you and the people that write me and take care of me. I hope that you all are doing well, you are in my prayers. I love you all keep up the good.

 

Love Elder Kev Moss



No comments:

Post a Comment